Ecclesiam res et talia sermocinamur -

We talk about the Church, stuff, and such

Friday, October 07, 2005

An Introduction...

...or, rather, A Brief History of My Journey in the Faith, with an Introduction Tacked on the End

As the "About Us" blurb in our sidebar suggests, I am en route to joining the Church (I officially start RCIA day after tomorrow, as a matter of fact).

I grew up in a very protestant household (I was baptised in the Assembly of God community, if that tells you anything) and attended a Presbyterian academy for junior high and high school. I can count on one hand the number of Catholics with whom I had regular contact during my childhood and adolescence. For a long time I felt drawn to the Church, but I didn't have any practical way to move towards Her.

And then I met Paul.

The first mass I ever attended was with him on Palm Sunday, 2004, at St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows. For the next year and change, I went to mass only when we were together for a weekend. Finally, at the beginning of this school year, I worked up the courage to tell my family that I wasn't going to continue to attend the Baptist church to which I went last year. The news that I would be spending my Sunday mornings at St. Jude and would be joining the Church this spring was received far better than I'd feared it might be.

I probably didn't need to go into all of that in this post. I didn't really mean to. Whoops.

At any rate, I started digging around St. Blog's last year, introduced Paul to it, and we both got hooked. Hence, our contribution to the Catholic blogosphere.

My opinions on such things run pretty parallel to Paul's, so I'll refer you to the description of his ecclesiastical conservatism below to describe my own.

I do hope you take something of value from our ramblings here. Welcome, and thanks for stopping by!

File Under:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Layla, will you be entering the Church this Easter? If so, will it be at St. Jude in Martin? I think that's the parish in Martin.

I don't know if you're planning to make West Tennessee your permanent home, but I hope you'll get to know the rest of the diocese. I love it. Absolutely.

Dennis
Seminarian
Diocese of Memphis

9:49 PM  
Blogger Layla said...

I will, and it will (and it is--you're good).

I don't know about making West Tennessee my permanent home (you'll have to ask Paul about that one...), but I am getting to know the diocese little by little (mostly through Paul and through my sponsor) and I like what I've seen. Paul's family belongs to Holy Rosary in Memphis, which is really, really lovely. I got to meet Bishop Steib on Sunday after the Rite of Election and Call to Continued Conversion, which was very neat.

Even if the Diocese of Memphis doesn't remain my home after I graduate, I want to thank you for your service. Please know that I am praying for you (and the rest of our seminarians) as you pursue your vocation.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home