Ecclesiam res et talia sermocinamur -

We talk about the Church, stuff, and such

Monday, May 21, 2007

Into Great Silence review

Like Mr. Fitzpatrick, I saw Into Great Silence this weekend. It wasn't exactly what I expected, though I would recommend it to anyone interested in a visually beautiful glimpse of the monastic life.

A detailed review can be found here. I'd agree with most of what Mr. Fitzpatrick says, adding that the film can get a little tedious at points. I can only take so many minutes of pondering the same scenic view of the snow-covered monastery. The good bits more than make up for any shortcomings, however. Favorite scenes included an afternoon of some of the younger brothers frolicking in the snow and a very sweet interview with an elderly brother about being joyful in the face of death because it means going home.

All in all, Into Great Silence is a stunningly beautiful film, and I would recommend seeing it if it is playing near you. I think it has the potential to do a lot of good for vocations. There was a group of very arty, film-student-types in front of me in the theatre, and afterwards, their general consensus was "well, that was interesting. Their life looks really cool." If it can get that sort of response from guys with spiky hair and eyebrow piercings, just imagine what it could do for someone on the verge of discerning a vocation.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew said...

It is not playing in a theater near me, but I do hope to buy the DVD when it becomes available.

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home