Ecclesiam res et talia sermocinamur -

We talk about the Church, stuff, and such

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Let them eat cake?

So, we're trying to work out the logistics of how and when everybody is going to get up here to Martin (AKA the jumping-off place of the world) for the Easter Vigil. This year, Easter Vigil masses in our diocese don't start until 8:00; folks have a 3-or-so hour drive, and some of them want to make it back to Memphis for the sunrise Mass.

And Paul, bless his silly male heart, wants to insist that his mother bake me a cake and drag it all the way up Highway 45. I say that such is wholly unnecessary, but he is somehow convinced that I can't be received into the Church unless we have a cake. He tells me that I just don't "understand how these things work."

I'd love to hear from our readers how I missed this "party" requirement in my reading. :)

UPDATE: Our parish was granted a dispensation to start at 7:00 instead of 8:00, and there will be a reception (almost assuredly with cake) afterward. Crisis has been averted, and we didn't even have to truck in baked goods from Memphis.

File Under:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There's definitely a party requirement. It doesn't end there, either. I'm known for buying cakes for Mary's birthday and other fun holy days :-) Parties are always welcome in the Catholic Church ;-)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Der Tommissar said...

I blame Vatican II for your missing that in your reading.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home