Ecclesiam res et talia sermocinamur -

We talk about the Church, stuff, and such

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sunday Secret, 2nd Sunday of Advent

I have recently acquired, from among the very numerous possessions of a deceased relative, a 1937 Missal. This is good because it contains lots of nifty hard to find prayers, as well as lots of Latin-English translations that will allow me to disguise my near-complete ignorance of the Church's language. So, I thought I would share parts of it. I picked the Secret to post because it's shorter than the readings (and the readings aren't the same any more, so that would be confusing), is long enough though to make sense by itself, and I like the way "Sunday Secret" sounds (even though Layla won't because she dislikes alliteration).


Placare, quaesumus, Domine, humilitatis nostrae precibus et hostiis: et ubi nulla suppetunt suffragia meritorum, tuis nobis succurre praesidiis. Per Dominum nostrum.
Per ómnia sæcula sæculórum, Amen.



Be appeased, we beseech Thee, O Lord, by the prayers and offerings of our lowliness, and where no support of merits is at hand, do Thou hasten to us with Thine aid. Through our Lord.
World without end, Amen.

------------------
Source: The New Roman Missal. New York: Benzinger Brothers, 1937
File Under:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home