Ecclesiam res et talia sermocinamur -

We talk about the Church, stuff, and such

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Doh

So, I was leaving St. Mary's after my PSR class finished this evening, and I glanced down into the school cafeteria and see some friends from the Newman Society and a monstrance. Now, my Newman friends are cool, and ostentoria are even cooler, so I thought I would see what was going on. Turned out the parish was having praise and worship and Eucharistic adoration for the high school youth group, and the Newman folks had showed up to help out/participate. I justified most of the music by telling myself "it's not a Mass," but it was generally pretty neat. And we hardly ever get opportunities for adoration, so that was good. Afterwards, though, we were talking about music, and a friend of mine mentioned the things people do the Agnus Dei, and how they always change the second stanza or add on extra ones.

Apparently someone somewhere had decided that "righteous dude" was an appropriate term for Christ.

Just to refresh everybody's memory, that's a line from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Yes, our Lord is apparently Ferris Bueller.

Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi, miserere nobis
Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi, miserere nobis
Agnus Dei, qui tolis peccata mundi, dona nobis pacem.


File Under:

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

"Oh, he's very popular. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies... - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

The majority of modern "worship" music sucks, for lack of a better term, We are either singing about ourselves, or about a horrible theology where it is just me and Jesus, most of the songs are trite and repetitive at best and heretical at worst, but when we as Catholics do nothing but steal and use the Protestant "worship" songs without changing them to a correct theology what do we really expect?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Yeah -- for some reason we think that if we put "God" or "Jesus" in a song, it automatically becomes something proper with which to praise God. Worse yet, we tend to think that it's appropriate for the Sacred Liturgy. They even bragged that "most of the music we're playing you hear on the Christian radio stations." For me, that's a Bad Thing, because the stations are run by Protestants. I am not a Protestant, and I do not want Protestant music. I want Catholic music, goshdarnit!

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home